The Obama Administration oversaw one of the most feckless foreign policies in American history:
- Adversaries such as Russia and China have capitalized on this weakness by unlawfully claiming new territories and intimidating American allies.
- Iran – the world’s leading State sponsor of terror, gained permission and financing to rapidly advance their anti-American agenda of terror while giving them increased ability to threaten Israel.
- North Korea routinely tests missiles with the intent to harm Americans as well as our friends and interests in South Korea and Japan.
- They did nothing while ISIS created a Middle Eastern caliphate and spread their brutality and anti-American, anti-peace doctrine.
- Idle threats were made in Syria which only served to embolden our enemies around the world that America lacked the will to stand up for Justice.
The world is more dangerous than it has been in decades. All the while, our military has been hollowed out and ceaselessly asked to do more dangerous missions with fewer people, older equipment, and shrinking resources.
Fewer Veterans serve in Congress today than at any time since World War II. We need people in Congress who make the safety of the American people their first priority, people who swore to protect and defend the Constitution and volunteered their own safety to do so. Only Veterans understand firsthand what is being asked of service members who go into harm’s way, and how to use the military successfully once that decision is made. I spent 25 years in uniform and deployed with the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, retiring as a Navy Captain. A true family commitment, my dad is a Korean War Veteran and my wife remains on active duty in her 26th year of Naval service as a Captain. I am 100% committed to a strong military and a strong national defense. I will hold civilian leaders accountable so that our men and women deployed overseas have the tools and the policies they need to successfully execute their mission and return home safely.
I believe in peace through strength. The danger and uncertainty in the world today is like no other period in my lifetime. To tame these risks, I will bring experience, courage, and servant leadership to Washington.